Wednesday 24 August 2011

The Legacy of a man-RIP Kijana Wamalwa.



He was iconic, but he never loomed, he was affable even though I never knew him. I wish I had met him but he expired too early, and the memory is too fresh. I still remember the day he died, I was sited on a terrace on my grandfather’s coffee farm, listening to the news on KBC via a small transistor radio, all by myself. The news of his sudden departure expelled the tranquility of the idyllic setting. I was shaken.

...even to a 13 year old like I was back then on that day he had made an impact. He had made me aspire to be a better man, he made aspire to be eloquent, he made me aspire to be fluent and articulate, and because of him I became that. He championed the case for selflessness

Wamalwa was a great man, even to a 13 year old like I was back then on that day he had made an impact. He had made me aspire to be a better man, he made aspire to be eloquent, he made me aspire to be fluent and articulate, and because of him I became that. He championed the case for selflessness. His sacrifice to educate hundreds of others children let me know it was OK to be selfless. It made a difference, It made me realize that  one man matters and one is all it takes to change the world.

He was magnificent but humble, he was a conqueror  but gentle.  He was a leader Kenya missed, he was the man we ought to be, responsible, selfless and he did not sing about it. He championed the case for a better Kenya, he fought for a free republic but he still was gentle enough to care and because  he cared he was special, and that, made a great difference. RIP Wamalwa.

No comments: