Wednesday 24 August 2011

I would rather be a Kenyan



 I love my country, It isn’t the easiest place to live but I still love my country. There are many places I could go, I could go to Italy for the wine, France for the cuisine, or Japan for their products. It is very attractive to go to far off places to find solace in their wealth and progress but I would still stay in Kenya for the simple things. I want to keep eating my Ugali, I want to be able to still sit down and watch the birds in lake Nakuru. I still want to walk past schools and see the Kenyan flag flying high. I want to eat Chapatis on Christmas. I would rather be in Kenya.

I am proud because I come from the nation that gave the world Kipchoge Keino, Rudisha, Jepkosgei, Malaika. I am proud because we are the nation that has the Maasai Mara, Im proud because we have the Maasai, I am proud because we have Wangari Maathai

I still wish that things could be better in Kenya, I wish we wouldn’t always be on the news for the wrong things. I wish we weren’t perceived as being so corrupt. It is sad to see so much poverty despite the hard work of Kenyans, its sad to see so many wonderful people live in so much hardship. I don’t understand why Kenyan Children are starving in a nation where so many people are in farming. There are so many challenges, but my hope is not extinguished. I see the promise of a better day. I see a better day because I know Kenyans are resilient people, I see a better day because Kenyans are a free people, I have hope because I see so many children is school, I see hope because Kenyans desire change, I see hope because we are together and for as long as we are together, we will get there.

We may not have roads like Germany, Industries like Japan, Wealth like Americans, an empire like the British had or Gold like the South Africans. I imagine how proud the French are of their airbus planes, I imagine German pride in their cars, Japanese pride In their industries and  American pride in their way of life. All those we don’t have, but I am still proud, I am proud because I come from the nation that gave the world Kipchoge Keino, Rudisha, Jepkosgei, Malaika. I am proud because we are the nation that has the Maasai Mara, Im proud because we have the Maasai, I am proud because we have Wangari Maathai. I am proud because I have a country, I am proud to be Kenyan and there is nowhere else I would rather be. It might not be paradise, but am fine with that.

No comments: