Thursday 29 December 2011

Khaemba for Governor?



As I started writing this post I got upset by the red lines underneath the name Khaemba, Ms Word recommended the name “Chambal” as a replacement, whatever that means. That just shows that African achievers are barely ever recognized. I don’t know why African achievers are not recognized but I know that our failure to recognize success promotes failure. I think its time we started to elevate the best amongst us. It is time we in Africa recognize that there are achievers amongst us; it is time we set them above the rest and to model success. Unfortunately there aren’t many achievers to emulate in this continent. There aren’t many of unquestionable character, unblemished integrity and who attain consistent results.

 Mr. Khaemba woke up before all the Chicken at Alliance high school and slept after all the watchmen of Alliance high school. To put it simply, Mr. Khaemba was Alliance high School... Nevertheless I must confess that Mr. Khaemba looks odd in the world of Kenyan politics. Kenyan Politics is punctuated with hooliganism, sycophancy and “rugged” morals. Mr. Khaemba’s refinement and character are rare in Kenyan politics. Mr. Khaemba has little in common with the politicians of this country....

I have a personal project, I have revealed it to very few of my closest friends and the details have remained hidden from all of them. I call my project “The Blueprint”. It’s not the Vision 2030 and it’s not a music album (apparently every person my age is an aspiring “msani”). The Blueprint is simple; it is a list of successful individuals and organizations in the fields of Business, leadership, faith and politics. My plan is to study all these individuals and organizations and to determine what the reasons for their success are and to model them in my own life. The first name in my Blue print was Tony Blair. Unfortunately, there are barely any Kenyans in my Blueprint, one of those few Kenyans is Christopher Khaemba, aka CSK or famously known as “The sodz”.

Christopher Khaemba is my former principal at The Alliance High School. Christopher Khaemba has left a record of impeccable success in the field of education and is arguably the best educator in this country. CSK turned around FSK (Friend’s school Kamusinga) in barely three years and his tenure as Principal at Alliance high school was arguably the most glorious in the school’s history. Mr. Khaemba has always pursued an all round philosophy for success. Mr. Khaemba emphasized extra curricular success as much as Academic success. During his term at FSK, they won the National Hockey Title and his term at Alliance was punctuated with impressive success in Drama, music, Rugby, swimming and Basketball which he once coached. After Alliance High School Khaemba has gone on to be the inaugural Director of the African Leadership Academy. All these are great achievements, but I think and expect that most AHS old boys would agree that his greatest achievement was the fact that No student ever “lost school” because of school fees. I could write a book about the Achievements of Mr. Khaemba or more affectionately “SODS”.

What has made Mr. Khaemba so prolific in what he does?  There is no denying that the achievements of Mr. Khaemba are astoundingly impressive. Let me attempt to explain why he has consistently excelled. Any old boy of the Alliance high school would agree that Mr. Khaemba has always amazed with his high level of personal discipline. Mr. Khaemba woke up before all the Chicken at Alliance high school and slept after all the watchmen of Alliance high school. To put it simply, Mr. Khaemba was Alliance high School, I left AHS in 2007 and I can’t imagine anybody else being principal other than SODS, period. Mr. Khaemba had leadership abilities that earned him enormous respect and endeared him to the students and staff. Mr. Khaemba was the Kind of principal who went for Cross country with us the students and I must say that he was fast. Then there is the Charismatic side of Mr. Khaemba, he has a rapturous sense of humour and he was also very ambitious- during one principal’s talk Mr. Khaemba unveiled AHS 2026, an ambitious and hilarious blue print of what he wanted AHS to be in its 100th anniversary, if I may remember he suggested that the Bursar’s office installs an ATM machine… that is the future courtesy of SODS. Khaemba has always been one to get what he wants, in his tenure AHS built impressive facilities and he had a hobby of snatching the best teachers from other schools. He was the best and Nothing else.

Recently Mr. Khaemba stepped down as the General Manager of Equity Group foundation. Mr. Khaemba intends to run for the seat of Governor of Bungoma County. To be honest I am not an expert on western Kenya politics; in fact, the closest I have ever come to Western Kenya is a map. One thing I do know though is that Mr. Khaemba is a result driven leader with a strict emphasis on uncompromised performance. I am sure that Mr. Khaemba would deliver with a distinction as he has done in the past. Nevertheless I must confess that Mr. Khaemba looks odd in the world of Kenyan politics. Kenyan Politics is punctuated with hooliganism, sycophancy and “rugged” morals. Mr. Khaemba’s refinement and character are rare in Kenyan politics. Mr. Khaemba has little in common with the politicians of this country. Mr. Khaemba is not a clown like the Sonkos and Simon Mbuguas of this country. Mr. Khaemba is not a suspect like the Mwaus of this country; he is not a hate speaker like the Machages of this country. Then there is another issue, it’s a bit laughable really, Khaemba can barely speak Kiswahili. He made the school laugh on school dinners as he tried to convey his thanks to the dinning hall staff…

 All in all, I do support Khaemba in his bid for the Bungoma seat. I think Khaemba has distinguished himself as a performer and his character as well as reputation is praise worthy. It’s in my hope that he does win and most of all he does deliver. I hope this is the beginning of a more refined generation of leaders. All the best SODS.

 I am sorry for posting a rather long and uncharacteristically dull article on my blog. If its your first time on this blog you should know that it’s a very “colourful” page….

“Boys! Work and work well...” C.S. Khaemba.



1 comment:

foenga said...

CSK is te reason y many of us r goin 2succeed in life. He made sm of us wo came 4rm te so-called 3rd world primary skuls feel at hm in bush. He gave us pride. He led by example.
Personally, te greatest contribution cm 4rm his talks-i neva missed one all ma 4yrs at bush,n i thnk i gt sm notebks wea i used 2scribble a point or 2. Success to him.