Tuesday 15 November 2011

This is for the Fans...

This is a note of thanks, a portrait of appreciation and a testimony of endearment for the great debts many have lent to me. I never anticipated the success my blog has had, it isn't very big yet but its much more than I had expected. When I started my first blog it barely clocked 200 hits in the first month, this one has achieved as much 1,600 in a day and to me, that is a big deal.

I started writing almost by accident, I was not good at it, not at all. Since then I have come a very long way. I still have the pink A4 exercise book I scribbled my first stories on. I still read the awful stories I wrote then with numerous spelling mistakes and shallow vocabulary. I would not forget Daisy Wachira for taking her time to read and review the shamefully pathetic work I wrote then. If it wasn't for her encouragement back then I am sure I would not have thought much of writing. I am forever indebted to her for the encouragement even when I didn't deserve it.

Then came the sordid era of painfully offensive notes on facebook. I was more immature than I ought to have been, and I was forgiven much more than I ought to have been. I am forever indebted to the numerous friends Like Lewis Munene who was always gracious with me even when I deserved less, I shall not forget to acclaim his resilient patience with me even when my actions caused grief to his faith and beliefs. As a friend he has been much more than I could ever ask for and much more than I could ever deserve. Thank you, it means a lot to me.

When I started my first blog it barely clocked 200 hits in the first month, this one has achieved as much 1,600 in a day and to me, that is a big deal...I am forever indebted to her for the encouragement even when I didn't deserve it.... To everybody who supports me, Thank you, you have meant more than you would ever know and you have made a greater difference than you would ever see...

I have faced a lot of criticism because of my unorthodox ostentation and skewed perspective on things. I have always been Ying when everybody else was Yang, I have been on the odd side far often than I should have been and still many stood by my side even when I was on the wrong side. I don't think any friend has ever been more faithful and not many have ever been so tolerant of me, I am talking of no one else than David Mwaura. He has been my friend through the thick and the thin and no one else has influenced me more than he has. He accepted me and never expected me to change. He has encouraged me to be myself even when he would prefer I change. If David was the only friend I had, it would be enough.

Some people are ordained to come into our lives at a particular time, it is as if they were divinely appointed to come into our lives. How they ever got into our lives is a mystery only God can fathom. This could only be in reference to one person, Wendy Kodhiambo. This brilliant and remarkable lady has been nothing less than a strong encouragement and a big influence. She is the most prolific poet I have ever know and it was her aptitude and competence in her poetry that provoked me to get better. She made me aspire to be better, she made face the sky and confront my enormous potential, because of her influence I got better. I have to say that she is the person who guided me to higher levels of excellence, she gave me standards at a time I preferred mediocrity and for that she made a difference, the difference she made has left a mark and because of her I am better.

Time is always an open book, but it keeps its secrets so discretely like a lady's dress. Some things look obvious when they aren't, To say the truth I can't remember how we ever became friends, I am talking about Brenda Nyawara. Brenda is the person who dared to poke my bloated foolishness with a stick. I remember the first time she spoke to me, she called me and challenged me to explain why I wrote one of my painfully offensive facebook notes, Brenda has always been straight with me but always courteous, and always gentle. She influenced me to be more pragmatic in my expressions, she was the person who made me feel accountable for my ideas and perception. Unfortunately I am not the easiest person to deal with but she has always been a friend even when it was difficult and for that I am indebted.

Then there is silent influence in my life, a beacon of sobriety and maturity. I am talking of no one else but Charles Kariuki, the person who has watched and overseen my growth as a person over a range of years. He is the friend who is never critical, never judgmental but always supportive, He has been the most direct and possibly the biggest influence on my writing. He has always respected what I do even when he didn't agree, his generosity and kindness have meant a great deal. He has done much more than you could ever know and on his laptop most of my notes and blog posts have been typed, edited and reviewed.

She has been my number one fan and my biggest supporter. She has engaged me more than any other person. Her name is Bettie Ngungi, a lovely and remarkable person whose loyalty and friendship has had a bigger effect on me than she would ever know. She has encouraged me when no one else would, she has been a much better friend  to me than I have been to her. She has held me in the highest esteem despite my numerous and obvious short comings. She has always striven to keep me in touch with my "human" side, and she is the person who always reads and participates in my blog even when she doesn't have to. Thank you very much Bettie na usiringe!!

Then there is Frank Oenga, AKA Daktari Frank, a cherished friend from way back in the bush. Always sober always mature and a bit crazy. I always remember the day we were busted by Bwila for walking from Kiuks eating on the streets. As a friend he has been remarkable, he is the kind of friend everybody needs, noble and fun. Frank was the first person to ever comment on my blog and still one of the most active participants on this blog. Frank is the best even though he sometimes thinks "he is not a human being". He is the person who makes me feel like its OK to be crazy.

There are numerous people who support me and particularly this blog. I could not mention them all but I want to let them know I appreciate. I couldn't close without mentioning Wayne Orwa for sharing my links, I have to mention Kevin Arende Oriri for always participating and engaging me positively even when I wasn't responsive. Time has escaped me and there are many I ought to mention, but for now, Thank you all.

2 comments:

bree said...

Wow. Feels good to be appreciated. These are the stuff that move people to tears. Didn't we say your blog will be famous? Keep writing.

Money Press said...

Brenda, you have been such a remarkable friend and I owe you much more... Thanks for your endearing support, you have meant a lot...